Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Old School: The Muskrat's Regret

One of  first flies my dad wanted me to tie for him, was a wet fly pattern called the Muskrat's Regret.  I had all the materials from when Dad bought the tying kit, and it was really simple - a Muskrat fur body with brown hackle , tied palmer-style.  That was it.   It was a popular pattern on Wisconsin rivers like the Brule in those days.  A lot of the old-timers my dad had me tie flies for asked for it, so I tied a lot of them.

I don't know where the pattern came from or why.  It's one of those patterns that represented almost anything in general and nothing in particular.  About all you could say with certainty was that it represented food, because the trout sure liked to eat it.

In those days, in that part of the country, fly fishing wasn't very sophisticated.  The fly fishers I knew didn't care about matching the hatch, or using flies that imitated a particular food source.  All they cared about in the fly patterns they used, was whether they caught fish. 

The technique to fish flies like this was just as simple.  The fly was cast upstream and allowed to drift down and sink.  If a fish didn't pick up the fly on the drift, the line would be allowed belly out and pull the fly back to the surface. Sometimes they'd lift the rod tip a bit to speed the ascent.  More often than not, this was when a trout would strike.   This technique is similar to what's now called a Leisenring Lift.  The Old-Timers called it fly fishing.


These kinds of flies and the techniques used to fish them aren't so popular any more.  It's not that they're ineffective.  It's more like they've gone out of fashion.  Just the same, they still work as well as they used to.  You just have to try them.

I have the Muskrat's Regret for sale in my Etsy store. Click Here